Goals always help serve as motivation to get things done. Over on my hockey card blog, I used to put together goals each new year and would use that as something to work towards. They weren't anything set in stone, but at least a guideline to help keep my focused throughout the year. It worked pretty well there so I'm hoping it will help with my model railroading hobby moving forward into 2016.
Goals for 2016
- Purchase and install the rest of the track and cork roadbed needed for the basement layout
- Complete wiring and DCC system hookup for the layout
- Be able to run trains and basic operations on the layout
- Purchase and build another structure kit
- Add some locomotives or rolling stock to my Detroit & Mackinac collection
While none of these are earth shattering, they are attainable and will give me a bit of a guideline for the next year. I've learned over the last six months or so that this hobby takes a lot of patience, but is well worth it in the end. I am giving myself the entire calendar year to just get the basement layout up and running, so hopefully I can meet these goals and then some. Just the fact that I am writing this post tells me I am in better shape than I was going into 2015.