Sunday, February 23, 2014

Train Show Pickups: WGH on Tour Show in Novi, MI

So after a few months of looking forward to it, I made it out to the Word's Greatest Hobby on Tour show yesterday and the Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi, MI. I wasn't sure what to expect because this one seemed to be set up a bit differently than the train shows I'm accustomed to. Their website says, "the show is intended to introduce the general public to model railroading in an entertaining, lively and family-friendly atmosphere." 

I figured there would be more kids related stuff than a normal show, and there is nothing wrong with that, I just was out looking for the things I need specific to my projects and could've done without all the extras. I'm already into the hobby, so I could avoid any of the booths that were more of the introductory or informational type, but those are good for the hobby in general so I had no issue with them being there, other than maybe the extra volume of people there all day. 

Anyway, let's focus on what I did at the show now. After walking through the entire 100,000 square foot exhibit hall, I was surprised to see how few of the booths actually had a great selection of HO stuff that would work for any of my projects. As usual, I was on the lookout for any and all D&M stuff, but came across nothing this time. Beyond that there were some great booths for newer stuff from the big manufacturers, but nothing really caught my eye. 

My main goal was going to be getting some supplies for my office shelf layout, specifically some LH and RH turnouts and some ballast for completing my track setup. I managed to find both, at two separate booths. At one, which was a mix-bag of things from all scales along with other toys and junk, I managed to get ten used turnouts for $1 each. At another I grabbed a bag of coarse ballast to practice some different ballasting techniques. Finally, I came across a great deal on 12" x 36" sheets of cork roadbed, so I grabbed one just to have for future use. 

Ten used turnouts, a bag of ballast, and a 1' x 3' sheet of cork roadbed
So all in all, it was a decent show, but nowhere near as good as I expected it to be. I did come away with some good stuff to help keep me moving on my shelf layout, which is good, but I feel like I could've gotten the same kind of stuff from a smaller, more focused show that didn't cost $16 to get into. Anyway, I've got a few of these smaller shows to look forward to in the coming months, so hopefully I'll be able to check some of them out and get some more great stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment