Sunday, May 11, 2014

Great Model Railroading Channels on YouTube

One of the things that I love about getting back into this hobby now is the technology that was not around back in the early to mid 90's, specifically the internet and YouTube in this case. I've gone there for all kinds of topics and always seem to find what I am looking for, and then some. After seeing a nice post over at West Toronto Junction (click here to see it), I thought I would share a few of my favorite channels. We actually share a few favorites, so that's kind of cool.

1) jlwii2000


This is the first channel I began watching this past summer when I decided to get back into model railroading and has a ton of great videos. They are primarily review type videos, but there are some others as well including the one I posted above. This one is the first in a how to series on building a model railroad layout. The series was full of great information and would be great for anyone getting started in the hobby.

2) MonsterRailroad


MonsterRailroad is one of the channels mentioned over at West Toronto Junction and I definitely have to agree that Al conveys a strong sense of "you can do it too" in his videos. After watching several of his videos like this one dealing with track ballasting, I thought to myself it can't be that hard and went on to try out some of his methods.

3) FNGFASHA


This is a channel that I came across more recently and have really enjoyed. Fasha has some excellent videos on rolling stock and locomotive detailing and repainting. This pair of videos were a great watch for me when I was working on repainting one of my old boxcars. I love the attention to detail and the explanations of the methods in these videos.

4) ModelerManMike


ModelerManMike is my new favorite channel at the moment and has got me really wanting to go out and buy some structure kits. I will eventually need one or two of them for my office shelf layout project, so for now I've just been watching all of his videos gathering tips and information on how to build structure kits. While the videos are a bit on the long side, they are more than worth the time spent watching them. The one I posted above is a great example of his work. I've learned a ton from these videos and cannot wait to apply it to some structures of my own.

5) RidgelineDivision


Ridgeline Division has some excellent videos or 'build logs' as they call them on various types of locomotives. I found this video when I was looking for some ideas for rebuilding my SD40-2 and have to say I was impressed with the attention to detail and explanation of steps. This video in particular has some great details available for an SD40-2 and has me thinking about some of them for my project.

While this is only five, I have at least 10 more model railroading channels I am currently subscribed to. Maybe I will try to put together another post like this sometime down the road. Until then, I highly recommend all of these channels if your're into HO scale model railroading. The way I see it is the more information you can gather about doing something the better. Its also good to get multiple approaches and opinions on how to do things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment