Over Memorial day weekend I was finally able to get some more work done on this project. It's become several different mini-projects right now and I've just been bouncing back and forth between them without really focusing on one specific task. That's not the best way to get things done, but it works for me.
One of the mini-projects lately was building one of my switch stand kits. That part was pretty easy, it was fixing up the track that took the most time. Below is a look at the ties I cut from some old scrap track. The longer ones just have the tie plates and spikes sanded off. To get the wood grain look back I just ran the back of my xacto blade along the top.
|Modifications to the turnout.|
|A look at the modified turnout and nearly completed switch stand kit.|
|A look at the complete switch stand kit.|
|Protection for the complete switch stand kit in the form of a Dixie cup.|
|Side by side of my mockup and the built up Pikestuff kit.|
|A look at the chopped off end of the loading dock ramp.|
|Styrene supports added to the underside of the ramp.|
|Test fitting the loading dock kit on the layout.|
|Using Frog Tape to paint the bottom edge of the loading dock and ramp.|
|A look at the loading dock and ramp after being painted.|