Saturday, December 31, 2016

December 2016 Update

Well, this year has gone by quickly. I haven't posted as much as I would like as life has kept me plenty busy with everything but model railroading. For this post, I wanted to do a quick update before the end of the year just to check in on the goals I set for myself earlier this year. Click here for the original post from back in January.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to really meet any of the goals I set for myself. That's ok though as I'm not in any rush to get these things done. At least they give me something to shoot for with my model railroading. I'll put together a post for tomorrow that focuses on my goals for 2017.

As far as an update on the layout, I've actually taken a small step backward by tearing apart the center divider I built recently. I found out that the two long sides were actually different lengths and that was causing some warping. To fix this, I've decided to rebuild the center structure with a bit more sturdy design. Because of that change, the layout looks pretty bare right now. As soon as I have this thing built back up I can get going on some more layout specific projects.

Probably the cleanest the layout table has been in a long time, I doubt it will stay like this much longer.
The only progress I've made lately is adding the small extension to the one corner to accommodate the wye I've designed into the track plan. It came out nicely and just needs a leg added to it for some extra support.

The new extension for the wye. Just need to add a leg and it will be all set.
Another side project I've started is adding some light to the layout room. Currently, the side of my basement where the layout is at only has one overhead light. I've got the ceiling tiles removed and I plan to add at least two more light fixtures directly above the layout and possible three more along the other side of the room.

The lighting (or lack thereof) in my layout room. I plan on adding two more of these right above the table .
Now that 2016 is in the past, I'm hoping to spend a bit more time on the layout in 2017. 

No comments:

Post a Comment