Monday, November 11, 2013

New Rolling Stock: Detroit & Mackinac

Aside from stuff for the nursery wall layout, I was on the lookout for any Detroit & Mackinac stuff I could find at the train show last weekend. I was just hoping to find at least some rolling stock since I knew there was quite a few pieces that have been produced over the years. Locomotives on the other hand, I wasn't really expecting to find any with how impossible they are to track down. 

I came away with five new pieces of rolling stock for my D&M roster. The first was this Athearn 50' boxcar. This one was a great find at only $5 and has next to nothing wrong with it, I just need to replace the couplers. Click here to see the real life DM2302 boxcar and try to spot the differences. 

Athearn 50' Boxcar, Detroit & Mackinac #2302
Up next was a pair of Atlas 2 bay offset hopper cars, both from the same dealer as the boxcar above. After talking with the guy for a few minutes about the D&M, he was nice enough to give me both for just $10. Click here to see a real life example of these two cars. 

Atlas 2 Bay Offset Hopper Cars, Detroit & Mackinac #5003 (x2)
Up next we have one that isn't exactly a D&M model, but something that was used by them at times. It is a RailBox 50' boxcar from Athearn. This was a nice find for only $4, it even has newer knuckle couplers and looks to be in great shape otherwise. 

Athearn 50' Boxcar, RailBox #10001
Here is another RailBox car, almost ideentical to the first other then the road number. This one does have the old style coupler though, so that will need to be changed eventually. Click here to see an example of these in use by D&M back in the day. 

Athearn 50' Boxcar, RailBox #11058
That's it for now. I think the next step will be trying to find some more of the D&M boxcar from above. That way I can just get some decals and try to renumber them so I can have more than just one on the roster. I'd like to maybe have three or four to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment