Saturday, January 25, 2014

Office Shelf Layout: Ideas and SCARM Layouts

Similar to my nursery wall layout, I am going to get this one started in SCARM (Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeler). I've been playing around with a few ideas based on the footprint I have to work within. It's not very big, but it's looking like there's enough room to get what I'm looking for.

As far as what exactly I am looking for, nothing is 100% set in stone. I'd just like stick with something modern that features a diesel locomotive and incorporates the following items if possible:

      -  Warehouse, engine house, or some type of industrial building
      -  Parking lot with spaces and concrete parking blocks
      -  Road with grade crossing
      -  Switch with switch stand
      -  Utility poles, street signs, etc.
      -  Vehicles and people

Not sure if that's asking too much for a small layout like this or not. I've been doing a lot of searching online and have found some great items, but will wait until I have a complete track plan before ordering anything. To help get that done, I've put together a couple of different options in SCARM.

The first one is uses a Pikestuff distribution center kit as the center piece. It would have two lines coming in from the left that converge into one that leads into the distribution center. It would have a decent sized parking lot with a driveway connected to an adjacent two lane road. I would probably go with a boxcar and a single locomotive on this one with the boxcar being backed into the building.

SCARM layout option #1
The second one is similar, but uses a Rix Products small engine house kit as the center piece. This one would have a mainline that crosses the front of the layout with a single track that leads off into the engine house. I would probably not have any rolling stock with this option as it would make sense to only have a locomotive either just in front of or sticking halfway out of the building.

SCARM layout option #2
The last one I have for now makes use of a Pikestuff 2-bay engine house. It is pretty much the opposite of the first option, here there is one track coming in toward the building that splits into two. I would probably go with two locomotives on something like this, or maybe one and a boxcar.

SCARM layout option #3
That's all I have for now. As far as materials/supplies go, I have the base and back boards purchased and all the straight pieces of track I would need. Other than that I still have to finalize the plan and start buying. I'd love to hear any thoughts or suggestions on these three options. Once I get the plan nailed down, I'll be able to post more frequent updates on the project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment