Monday, October 14, 2013

Layout Ideas: Detroit & Mackinac (Locomotives)

When I first decided to get back into model railroading, I really wanted to come up with a layout based on the Detroit & Mackinac Railway. One of the reasons was the fact that I kind of grew up around this railroad at my family's lakefront cottage in northern Michigan, right along the D&M branch between Tawas and Alpena. I remember always looking forward to seeing the trains come through town and at the rural crossings closer to the cottage. It was one of the things that really helped get me interested in trains in the first place. 

While doing some research over the summer, I came across some HO scale models of D&M locomotives and rolling stock, which brought back a lot of good memories from my childhood. My first thought was I need to have these for any layout that I put together. I mean how neat would it be to base a layout on an area that I actually visited frequently when I was younger? 

Well, that was the plan until I discovered that it was virtually impossible to find any of the D&M locomotives for sale. I did find plenty of pictures of them and links to other people who had them, but none that were available. At first I figured it was no big deal and I would just keep looking. Well, fast forward a few months and there was still nothing to be found. 

There were however several pieces of rolling stock available, but it wouldn't feel right to just have a few boxcars with the D&M paint scheme. I wanted to have the actual replicas of the trains I saw in-person as a kid. Since it appeared I wouldn't find what I was looking for any time soon, it was at that point I decided to put the idea of a D&M themed layout on the back burner. Who know's, maybe a few of these will surface someday and I can get back to what I originally wanted. 

Until that happens, I thought I would put together a kind of wish list post showing everything that I have found so far featuring the D&M name. Let's start with the locomotives.

The first one is D&M #381, an Alco C425. Here is a look at the prototype. It's an amazing looking piece of equipment if you ask me. I love the black and gold paint scheme, especially the little bit of red trim along the center stripe. The striped nose is pretty neat too, definitely hard to miss.

Alco C425, Detroit & Mackinac #381
Now here is a look at the model I found from Atlas. It actually looks a lot like the prototype. The overall look is there, its just missing some of the minor details. These are things like the small American flag log above the front steps as well as the snow plow on the front end.
Atlas Master Line Alco C425, Detroit & Mackinac #381
Up next is D&M #181, another Alco C425. This one is pretty much the same as #381 other than the obvious difference in road number and the lack of red trim along the center stripe.

Alco C425, Detroit & Mackinac #181
Here is a look at the corresponding model from Atlas. It appears to be identical to the #381 model other than the road number. It actually even has the red trim that is not shown on the prototype. I wonder what the reason was for the difference there.

Atlas Master Line Alco C425, Detroit & Mackinac #181
There are actually two other C425's out there, but I cannot find pictures of the models, so here is a look at the prototypes for D&M #281 and #1280. These both look just like #381 with the red trim along the center stripe. Overall, these four make for a great looking set of locomotives.

Alco C425, Detroit & Mackinac #281
Alco C425, Detroit & Mackinac #1280
That's it as far as HO scale locomotives that have been produced in the Detroit & Mackinac paint scheme. Any information on where to buy any of these would be greatly appreciated. I think I will leave the rolling stock for another day, at least there is more there and some of it is readily available.

No comments:

Post a Comment