Monday, August 4, 2014

Railfanning at Greenfield Village

This past weekend my family and I made it out to Greenfield Village and I was able to get some nice pictures of the various locomotives and rolling stock they have on the grounds. While I'm not big on steam, it was still pretty neat to see what they had to offer. Up first us a picture of the train that runs around the park. It pulls several open air passenger cars and makes several stops at different locations in the park.

LSMS 4-4-0 #1 passing through the farm section of Greenfield Village

While we were waiting for the train to arrive at the depot in the back of the park, I was able to get some pictures of some rolling stock they had stored on a siding next to the main line. Then there was also some stuff sitting just outside the turntable and roundhouse.

C&O Boxcar #491556 sitting on a siding in the back of the park.
C&O Boxcar #25038 sitting on a siding in the back of the park.
UTLX Tank Car #1328 sitting on a siding in the back of the park.
More rolling stock featuring some DT&I, C&O, and Cotton Belt on the same siding.

Here are some pictures of the turntable and roundhouse. Interesting that the turntable is man-powered. I wonder how many people it takes to get these items turned around on there. Inside there were some more steam locomotives to check out. It was really cool getting to see them up close like this.

A look at the man-powered turn table in front of the roundhouse.
A look at the front of the roundhouse.
Calumet & Hecla Mining Co. locomotive inside the roundhouse.
This one is a little blurry, but still a pretty nice looking locomotive.
A look at the caboose that was being worked on inside the roundhouse.
Another steam locomotive inside the roundhouse. This one you could walk underneath.
Last but not least was an interesting piece of equipment that I happened to find tucked away on the siding with all the extra rolling stock. It is a Detroit & Mackinac steam locomotive, at least what's left of it. There are no identifying numbers so I can't really say what it is other than the D&M painted on the side. 

I did some searching around online and came across this link that talks about additions to Greenfield Village from the D&M. All it says is that the D&M donated a 1914 Baldwin locomotive, so this has to be it. There is also a YouTube video about it, click here to see it. There are some great closeup shots.

Unknown Detroit & Mackinac steam locomotive sitting on a siding.
Not bad for my first real attempt at railfanning. Now I just need to get out and find some pictures that I can use for my layout projects. I'd really like to get out and get some good shots of the various industries and locations served by the railroads here in south east Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment