Saturday, September 12, 2015

Side Project: Toy Train Table

Since starting my basement layout, I've been in a building mood and decided to make a toy train table for my son who will be two later this year. So far he has been fascinated with trains and he loves playing with the pre-built table that my parents have for him at their house. I didn't want anything too complicated, just a simple table for him to play on with some of his Brio trains. I had a ton of these things as a kid and think its really neat to pass it onto him. 

Using 1x4's for the perimeter frame and legs, I put together a simple structure that was about 3' long and 2' wide. It stands about 13" tall and has a nice lip around the edge to keep things from rolling off the table top. The cross members are 1x3's and the two end supports are pieces of leftovers from another project. The idea is for the table top to be removable. Here are some pictures of the progress so far.

A look at the framework for the table.
Adding the MDF table top.
Test fitting some of the track I had laying around.
I still need to do some touch up work and then paint everything, but its coming along nicely. I am really looking forward to getting this done so we can have another way to enjoy some trains together. He also has me motivated to get my basement layout to the point where trains are running just so he can watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment