Saturday, February 8, 2014

Building the Foundation for My Office Shelf Layout

In addition to getting some airbrushing in the other day, I got some work done on the base for my office shelf layout. I had already bought the Rubbermaid shelf pieces from Home Depot a while back, so all I needed to do was cut them down to size and assemble them.

I had to take the 36" pre-made pieces down to 32" and did that with my new table saw. First time I've used one of them in a long time. Those were the easy cuts, the hard one was ripping 1/2" off the entire length of the flat base piece. Once that was done and I made sure all of my fingers were still intact, I moved onto drilling some holes in the back of the vertical piece for assembly.

Drilling holes along the bottom edge of the back vertical piece.
One of the things I learned from my nursery wall layout was to countersink any holes on the back or bottom sided to prevent screw heads from scratching any surrounding surfaces.

Countersinking the holes on the back of the vertical piece.
The only thing left after the countersinking was the final assembly. I put five screws along the length of the base, which made this thing pretty darn sturdy. Since it will just be resting on a bookshelf, I really shouldn't have to worry about the strength of the joint like I did for the nursery layout.

Finished L-shape base ready for the next steps
The next step as far as construction will be getting some grass mat down on the base and possibly painting a blue sky backdrop on the vertical piece. Other than that I really need to finalize a track plan for this thing. I think I am leaning toward option #3 from my last post about this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment