Wednesday, February 5, 2014

New Side Project: SD40-2 Rebuild / Customization

Now that I've had some time to mess around with my new airbrush, it's got me wanting to do a bit more than just practice on the Soo Line SD40-2 that I have as my current test subject. I've been see a lot of custom locomotives online and thought it might be fun to try and do one myself.

My Soo Line SD40-2 in its factory form before I started painting.
I know it will not be as nice as the ones I've seen, but you have to start somewhere, right? At this point, I think I will try to come up with a fictional railroad with a corresponding paint scheme and attempt to completely repaint the shell. Beyond that I would like to get the pieces I am missing right now, which include the following:

     - Handrails and grab irons
     - Number boards
     - Knuckle couplers
     - Ditch lights

As far as ideas for what I could do with the paint scheme, I did some searching online and found some great examples of different schemes just within the state of Michigan. I don't necessarily want to copy anything that's already out there, but would maybe use these as kind of a starting point.

A few example SD40-2's from various Michigan railroads.
So I'm not sure where this project is going to take me. All I hope to get out of it is some practice using an airbrush and just a better understanding of what it takes to work on model locomotives. I'm definitely open to any tips or suggestions that anyone has for this type of project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment